Saturday, February 4, 2012

Why don't people go for unique baby names?

When choosing a name for your baby, why do people always go after POPULAR names? Aren't you sick and tired of the names you're trying to give your children? You name them this or that and when they go to school, there are three more kids in his/her class which has the same name!! Don't you think of that when you think of baby names?

Why don't people go for unique baby names? They would say it sounds weird, or strange, or too complicated. Aren't you making your child's life more complicated when giving them the same names as MOST of the others have too?Why don't people go for unique baby names?
I am totally agreeing with you. I get so sick of the same old boring names. It's like people are sheep and just follow one another. It seems like some people have no imagination.

I have 8 children with unusual names.

They have never known another child with the same name and so to them it is like they have their own "exclusive" name. They seem to enjoy that feeling of being the only person with that name. It makes life so much easier because you never have your surname initial constantly attached to your first name.

I am glad that I like different names and very proud of it. There is no way I would ever become a "sheep" and follow the "popular" names.
This question is interesting.I wouldn't name my kids one of these names:

Emily

Kate

Sarah

here are some nice names that are not the name of 30 other people at the school:

Arden,Sadie,Laylie,Melia,Tahli鈥?Scarlet, Taila, Taylie

Good question.I will star it!

Report Abuse

Why don't people go for unique baby names?
The names that are popular are usually really nice names. That's blindingly obvious by the fact they are popular. So, people love nice names. I will love a name regardless of popularity. Isabella is a beautiful, extremely popular name. That doesn't cause it to be any less attractive, all it does is make me a little less likely to use it because I would hate for my child to be one of 15 in a school. I can completely understand where people are coming from when they give them a gorgeous (popular) name.



A well-known name like Ashley, will always look like a misspelling or weird if it is Ashlee or Ashly. If you're going to use a common name, you might as well spell it properly. If it pronounced the same, why mess it up? People usually speak a name, so she would still be known as Ashley F, blonde Ashley, Ashley with the weird spelling or something along those lines.Why don't people go for unique baby names?
I'm not after a popular name or whatever I'm after names that I like or that are meaningful to me. I like everything from William to Shane, Holly to Coralie. I really dont care if they are super popular or sound good to other people i just like these names and their meanings. There is nothing wrong with timeless names like William as opposed to stupid "unique" names like Mogli bronx or whatever that crap is.
I just pick names that I love whether they are popular or not. Because you need to love that name that you are going to give your child that will be theirs for the rest of their lives. And I think it also depends on where you live. I don't know anyone named Ava or Isabella or Aaden or any of the top 10 names where I live.
It actually depends where the parents are from. There are a lot of names rising to the top of the common names. But I don't think the top list applies accurately to all parts of the world.

Some nationalities have their own list of common names, which could be uncommon in the US or any other place.
what names would you suggest?



And FYI, I am shortlisting names that have been less common in my state. And not 'unusual' names with wrong spelling either, just names that haven't been used for a while.



Oscar May



or



Billie May.



Like I said, less common in MY state.
Just because a name isn't unique that doesn't mean it's overly used. Check the popularity charts first, before you start saying this. I've never, never known a Holly. Does this mean the name is unique? Apparently by your standards it does.
it would be best just saving your child the greif! think about it if you give your child a weird name whats going to happen? there going to get picked on! do you really want that? excactly.



x
I chose my children's names because both my husband and I liked them. Whether they were popular, trendy, unique, traditional, etc, etc did not enter the equation at all.
I have noticed a trend where people are giving there babys many unique last names. Every kid in some houses has a different one.
i want to name my daughter Xaira. pronounced the X as a Z and the ai as long i.

and for my son Xairon. or Zeveryn.
OMG i totally agree!!!!

i think names should be different and interesting, just not too long lol then it just seems like the parents were trying too hard
What like Apple or Bronx Mowgli? Most people probably don't name their kids "unique" names to spare them some trauma. I think most kids would rather be average than be made fun of.
because they are too lazy to think of unique names. They just go for comman names like Brittney and Ashley.
Alot of people do go for unique names these days. When enough people go for them, they become popular.



Exhibit A: Aiden/Jayden/Caden/Brayden, etc

See here: http://wiki.name.com/en/The_Rise_of_%22-鈥?/a>



Also, a lot of people don't realize that they are picking popular names. I've seen plenty of people say that names like Isabella or Ethan or Ava or Aiden aren't very popular, when in fact they are some of the most popular names in the US right now. A glance at the top 100 list or at a daycare roster would prove them wrong, but people think "well I haven't met anyone with that name, so it must not be popular...."



Top 100 Boy Names: http://wiki.name.com/en/100_Most_Popular鈥?/a>

Top 100 Girl Names: http://wiki.name.com/en/100_Most_Popular鈥?/a>



Personally, I plan to choose a fairly popular name for my daughter because our last name is extremely unusual and hard for most English-speakers to pronounce. I feel like I'll be doing her a favor by giving her a "normal" first name.

No comments:

Post a Comment